Friday, 1 January 2016

2015: A reflection


2015 was one of the strangest years of my life. It certainly had its down moments for me, but fortunately there were plenty of ups too. 

This time last year I was still in sixth form, working towards my A2 levels and enjoying my free periods (perhaps a little too much) with the most amazing group of friends. 

As the year went on, everyone became increasingly aware of two facts: 1) School, the place we'd all attended for a majority of our lives, was nearly over for good which meant 2) we had to make some pretty tough decisions about where to head next. 

With no UCAS application submitted and no clue what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, I decided to look into apprenticeships. I actually did wobble on that decision a couple of times, particularly as people received uni offers and I was still unsure what I was going to be doing with my life.

Suffering from increasingly more frequent panic attacks for seemingly no reason was one of the hardest things I've ever faced. I'd struggled by myself for a long time but reached a point where I no longer felt able to fully cope. I headed to the doctors and was diagnosed with moderate-high levels of anxiety on 23rd March, and was referred for cognitive behavioural therapy.

The first CBT session I attended was terrifying, but after a couple of weeks I started to see the positive effects that changing my mindset could have on my life. I'm beyond appreciative of every single person who helped me through that. 

In May, I applied for an apprenticeship in PR at a local agency and got called for interview. A couple of weeks later I was offered the position. 

Knowing that I'd secured myself a job, I bought myself my very first car, a 2008 Vauxhall Corsa which I absolutely love. It's literally my baby. 

Starting my apprenticeship on the 20th July (I don't think I'll ever forget that date) was the start of the most incredible journey for me. Not only has working full time forced me to grow up a lot, it's also given me some amazing opportunities. I'm currently working with a small but incredibly talented group of people who are so supportive of me and everything I do. They're the funniest bunch who make me laugh daily. I'm so lucky to have a job that I enjoy and an office full of warm and welcoming faces. 

A level results day in August was awesome. I was super proud of myself for achieving ABC in RE, Media Studies and Photography, and was also super proud of all of my friends, who'd spend the whole year working their butts off to get into their universities of choice. It was a day of great celebration for us all, and probably one of the happiest days of the year despite the rain. 

When some of my closest friends moved away in September, I started to feel a little lost. Being one of the few people still living in my hometown was tough. Fortunately, a handful of them really aren't too far away and even the ones who are are always at the end of the phone when I need them. I thoroughly look forward to them coming home and our meet ups are always brilliant.

Although the last quarter of the year was a bit of a mess as a long-term relationship ended, I was given the opportunity to start working on my very own account at work, something that I didn't anticipate would happen for quite some time being so inexperienced. I love it though, and I've really thrown myself into it. It's one of my greatest achievements to date.

I turned 19 in November! I can't believe that by the end of 2016 I'll no longer be a teen, where has the time gone?! 

December 2015 was better than I ever could have imagined. I got to know one of the most amazing human beings in the world. In a very short space of time he reminded me how to be happy, restored my faith in humanity and proved that the most beautiful things can blossom at the most unexpected times. He's literally my best friend and I'm so lucky to have him in my life.

2016 looks set to be pretty positive for me, and I hope it's just as positive for you. 


Happy New Year.


2 comments:

  1. Great post !
    I hope you have an amazing 2016

    Jenn xo
    Hello-Gutentag.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete